Thank God for the Little Dove Chocolates...

 Thursday, June 2, 2011

Last week I did one of the dumbest things I have ever done.


Ok maybe that's a little exaggeration...but after reading this – you too will admit I did a pretty stupid thing. And it’s ok to say that too. I already know “I am a good mom” and “moms do plenty of stupid things” so it will not hurt my feelings when you laugh and just say “Really? What was she thinking”?

As I said in my last post, we have been super busy trying to get things done for the move. We have been rearranging furniture, sorting through items, and getting ready for some home improvement projects. One of the first things we had to accomplish was to find a renter for our house. We posted an ad on Craigslist, held our breath, and hoped we would get some responses. Well much to our surprise we had several people write us within 24 hours wanting to see the house right away. Although this was super exciting news, it also put a lot of pressure on us to finish things fast so we could get the house cleaned and ready to be shown.

On Thursday I was especially out of sorts. The cleaners were supposed to arrive in the afternoon and I had to do dishes, put away toys, and hide the laundry. Addison was being pretty fussy and I knew I was going to have to find something to do so we could stay out of the cleaner's way.

We left the house in a hurry and headed towards the neighborhood park. Addison was crying her brains out and I was running out of ideas as to what could be the cause. When we arrived, I took a deep breath to relax and realized I had left something very important at the house.

Chocolate.

On a day like today, why was the chocolate at the house?

I wasn't sure what to do. We were finally out the door and Addison was much calmer now that we were playing in the swing.  Was it worth it? Should I put her back in the car seat just to go get my chocolates?

Yes.
I had to go back.

[It was the Extra Creamy Dove Milk Chocolates. You know, the kind with the sweet messages about life and love printed inside each wrapper? Who can resist?]

Fortunately, the cleaners weren't there yet and I knew it would only take a minute to grab the chocolates. I felt a little silly making such a big deal over chocolate, but this was a really hard day...and this was some really good chocolate.

As I was jumping out of the car, I noticed the keys in my hand. Addison LOVES to play with keys. What better way for me to buy a minute or two than to let her play with them while I was gone? I opened her door and tossed them in. She was thrilled.

I was in the house about 2 minutes when I heard it. The sound was familiar, but not one that registered with me right away.

I soon froze. I knew that sound all too well. It was the sound of the car being locked with the keyless remote. I couldn’t have been that big of an idiot, right?

I ran outside to find Addison happily playing with the keys in her mouth. She was chewing on them and had pressed her lips on the lock button. Of course she had.



I didn't panic right away. Actually, I started to laugh at the wacky situation and knew it was no big deal since I had a second set of keys in the house. Or at least I thought I did. For some reason a spare key was no where to be found. My nervous laughter quickly turned to tears. Lots of tears.


Addison didn't think it was funny anymore either. She was stuck and I wasn't sure how long she would be in there (car off...windows rolled up...hot afternoon).

So there she was inside the car with the keys while I was outside with my chocolates. There was no option left but to call roadside assistance so they could come break into the car.



By the time our adventure was over Addison had only been in the car 30 minutes. Although she was screaming bloody murder by the time it was all over, she really was a trooper through it all. I can't wait to tell her the story of the time I left her in the car with the keys...so that I could get my chocolates. 
You gotta love the "silky smooth promises" when your baby is locked in the car...

2 comments:

Alisa June 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM  

Oh my goodness Michelle! I couldn't bear to watch the video (but then I did, covering my eyes while I watched). So scary!! I would never have thought of the baby being able to lock the door either!!

I had no idea you moved to Boston! WOW!! Glad I'll be able to keep up better with what you're doing through your blog.

Love you girl!

Karen June 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM  

I'd choose the chocolate, too!

Michelle, I love the way you tell a story... definitely keep blogging!!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP